I'm off in the land of Beans & Cod for a couple days on Bidness. It's a foray deep into enemy territory given my lifelong Yankees fandom, but a man does what he's got to do. A couple observations on my trip.
- An hour of L2 work on a hotel Lifecycle is the closest thing to the 7th Circle of Hell man can achieve this side of divorce court. The seat is huge preventing comfortable spinning. The geometry is wrong, too slack, making the thighs and knees bear all the pressure. And the co-workers, who have never seen you sweating a flood and gasping as you melt down and lose power in the insufficiently-cooled hotel gym... well, they probably didn't need to see you that way. Their idea of a workout doesn't really qualify as a cyclist's idea of a workout.
- Most irritating travel trend: people sitting at the back of the plane, putting their bags in the overhead baggage compartments near the front of the plane. They board the front last. God help you if you're trying to stow a suitbag there. When I boarded the Airtran flight they pushed me to the rear for stowing the bag. I did. Imagine my gobsmackedyness when these three women who were sitting at the rear of the plane strode up to the front and each took about three small suitcases out of the overhead compartments near me. You sneaky bitches! So I had to wait until the plane emptied completely to go to the rear (completely empty compartments) to retrieve my bag.
- The clam chowder here is good. Really frickin' good. Tender clams, good other ingredients. Very nice.
- I hate business travel any more. The business of the airlines is to make your time in the air as miserable as possible. I particularly hate taking the discount airlines. It's great they save the employer some money on the flight. But the cost is that my knees are bumping up against the seat in front of me for the entire frickin' flight. It is painful. Good thing I haven't been sleeping much lately otherwise there'd be no nappy-time relief on these trips.
- I'm getting old. I had an opportunity to go out and get hammered tonight. I turned it down to go to be early and catch up on some sleep.
- I like my job and most of the people I meet. It's very nice to be able to say that and probably pretty rare. It may have something to do with my attitude, more than the fact that I've got an okay likeable job.
- I can't wait to get home and ride my own bike. Man, I miss it when I'm off it for a day or two. I feel like an addict.