- I'm still sore from Lodi. Roadracing sometimes leaves me really fatigued. Mountain biking leaves me sore, as if I'd been in a fistfight. And lost.
- Jon ordered me a new set of forks today, some Rock Shox Rebas. Somewhere in the darkness early Saturday morning, I figured out that at my skill level, I could probably go a lot faster over rough ground with a suspension fork, which would permit more instantaneous line choices. And maybe just bashing over rocks and roots rather than having to carefully pick my spots.
- The best day in a cyclist's life is when he orders new bling. The second best day is when he installs it. The third is when he first rides it. A close fourth is when he sells it to recoup some money, to buy more bling.
- The world's most dangerous drivers, bar none, are 25 to 40 year-old women commuting and talking on their cellphones. Several of these nearly caused me to crash out today. And I was in my car! It was like some kind of death match or something. It used to be diplomatic plates and Jersey plates gave me the willies; from now on it's any car driven by a yakking woman. Oh yeah, guys in BMWs talking on cellphones rate a close second. And Volvos. I think a lot of Volvo owners see ad copy claiming that Volvos are tested and proven to be the safest cars on the road, and take that as a bet challenging them to test and prove the cars' crashworthyness. Seriously, it was my worst driving commute in ages. This one woman nearly crashed me out about three times just driving up Benning Road. She was just talking on the phone, waving her arms, and veering into my lane. I resolved that if she crashed into me, I was going to take a tire iron to her car. Fortunately that didn't happen, because it would be tough to blog from jail.
- I'm just wrapping up my second rest day this week. There are things that are worse than rest days, I just can't think of any right now.
- Here's a good website to check out - a little group blog people with some hard ridin' MFs. Bikecentric, where the scorchin' RickyD blogs alongside some other people with a unique take on mountain biking and riding generally.
- Oh goody... 5 x 6 at CP 90 tomorrow. What does that mean? 5 fairly hard intervals on the road bike, sprinkled like little rainbow colored candies on a 90 minute to 2 hour ride. Can't wait to do them.
Oh yeah, that was like 7, maybe 7.5 thoughts. That's because this site is under new mismanagement, and we just want you to know that you get more than what you pay for. That's why you're getting 1 - 1.5 more thoughts in this blog post than were originally advertised. It's part of the blog's new plan to offer ever more pleasing goodness to our readers.
Tomorrow's improvement: we split the same old shit into 4 different entries. Sure, it's the same old shit, but now you'll be getting 400% more of it! Some might call that some sort of capitalist swindle, but I'll believe that when I start making actual cash off the operation of this here website. For now, I'm just another one of you plebeian schmucks trying to figure out how to make things better, just one of the guys.
Now hold still while I hit that golf ball off your mouth.